Skip to main content

Board Build (Part 2 - Final)

Over the past few days I managed to finish off the board.

First up was finishing the spray. After which I started dry-brushing. First with skeleton bone and then lighter. Even though it was the same colour combination used on the bases of my vineyard stands it turned out a bit more red than I wanted.

This in turn meant that I had to drybrush a bit more. After that I added a mixture of light/burnt grass from woodland scenics in patches. When it dried I sprayed it all down with PVA to seal it in.

Overall I am pretty happy with the outcome. Sure the colour isn't exactly right and the grass doesn't fully match up across the board joints (something I can fix later if it bothers me) but when I got used to them and put some figures and terrain on them they really work well (for a first try anyway).

The colours in the last picture most truly represent how they ended up (the top 2 are a bit too red).





This concludes the board build but there is plenty more to do - painting figures and vehicles, making some more linear terrain and buildings (which I have just ordered and waiting for them to arrive)!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

World War 2 Italian Terrain - Vineyards (Part 1)

Hello everyone, After finishing the Mid-Century boards and playing on them a few times (I hope to put a battle report up eventually), I have once again begun making terrain. This time its my long awaited Italian board. So broadly speaking I want to make a board which I can play WW2 games (mostly Bolt Action and Chain of Command) on. I want this board to be a mostly rural setting that looks like Italy but could also conceivably be Spain, Portugal, Greece, Yugoslavia and, at a stretch, greener parts of North Africa (including Tunisia and Cyrenacia). This theatre flexibility will allow me to use the terrain for other games as well like Sharp Practice (for Austrians/French in Northern Italy or Peninsula War) and Spanish Civil War. Unlike my Mid-Century Board, this will be less like a diorama and more of a traditional gaming table. For instance, where on the Mid-Century Board everything had its place, for the Italian board I am planning on some big green boards/felt mat on which I w

Gebirgsjagers - Chain of Command

Hi All I have been a long time table-top gaming enthusiast but have never really collected until recently. Something that I have never done due to time, talent and direction is painted. I suppose for me the collecting went hand in hand with the painting and as I could not paint, I did not collect and therefore I did not game. Well last year I decided to try my hand at painting. While I continue to learn a lot and my efforts are not the best I am a lot more confident that if I try I may be able to get a 'table-top' standard I am happy with. Anyway last year I began to paint some German Gebirgsjagers, however I noticed that there is no list in Chain of Command for them yet. They are quite similar to regular German infantry so with a bit of research and CoCulator help I settled on the below - Comments appreciated. Germany Heer Gebirgsjager Rifle Platoon (Pre 1942) Introduction The German Gebirgsjager (mountain infantry) of World War Two found its origins in

World War 2 Italian Terrain - Vineyards (Part 3 - Final)

So I am back to finishing off all the stands of vineyards. The next step was to stick clumps of foliage down. Starting with a 'olive green bushes' and then building it up with 'light green clump' (both from woodland scenics) I went about creating some vines. I have to say that there are many types of vines out there and the stands I made only resemble some of them. So I was quite happen with how they worked out. In the later stands I made them less 'bushy' and more scrappy which probably improved their look but I have a bit of a variety. To be honest though I think they do the trick and for abstract terrain they get across the point of vineyards nicely. It was a learning experience anyway! Not sure what will be next with this build, maybe some roads, fields or buildings... Until then