Skip to main content

Urban Gaming Board - Part 1

Hi All,


I have always wanted a board to play war games on. Time, talent and space have always stopped me from attempting such a project.


I have been having a tough time at work recently and decided to take a couple of weeks off. In a bid to make myself useful I decided to finally have a go at making a board!


I originally wanted to build a WW2 board (Italy specifically) to play Bolt Action and Chain of Command on (without having to visit the FLGS). However I decided to be less ambitious and go for a small, non-modular urban board.


So I started with a basic plan. Four 45cm x45cm boards (~1.5ft) to make a 90cm x 90cm (3ft) board.


The plan was to have a T-intersection of roads broadly running down the centres of 3 boards. On one corner a building, on the other a urban park. Along the 'non-intersection side of the road, a few more building


First thing I had to do was order the buildings. I was highly impressed with the cost and detail of the Knights of Dice buildings (also being located in Australia helped). The main buildings I picked up were there Moore Street tenements, the petrol station and the Harmonic Theatre.


Next I went to Bunnings (hardware store) and got some 3mm MDF cut into 45cm x 45cm squares (8 of them to be exact).


I also ordered some spray paints from the FLGS and Officeworks to pain the boards and buildings.


So the buildings arrived and I got to painting - lets just say I am terrible at colour selections! Luckily Knights of Dice have video tutorials for some of their products.


Dry fit for the Petrol Station - ~40% complete

Dry fit for the Petrol Station - ~40% complete
So I waded into the Petrol station first. The above picture is a work in progress. Some difficulty ensued with the Officeworks spray paints, being street-art paints I lacked the finesse to spray properly and ended up priming myself more than the building!



An almost complete Petrol Station


An almost complete Petrol Station
Above is an almost complete petrol station. Still some drybrushing, weathering and details to do, but you get the idea.


Joining the petrol station on the non-intersection side of the street was the two tenement buildings.



1 half built tenement - please excuse our 'cat'

almost complete tenement

I also painted up the second tenement much the same. They are both now weathered and assembled and pretty much done.


The next step was to work on the board itself. I got some tools (a dremel did most of work) and cut out the roads on the upper pieces of MDF.






You can see the overall layout above. Other people have done the sidewalk detail with foam because it is easier to use. I chose the MDF because it is what I had. I made some half cuts with the dremel and then filed out the detail of the kerbs and sidewalks using art carving tools.


You can also see the black piece of material. This is sandpaper and will be laid between the two pieces of MDF to give the roads texture.


Options for sidewalk detail
Due to the MDF being hard to work with for small detail, I considered using filler, engraving into it and then sanding down when dry. The above picture shows a test effort...as you can see it didn't really work. This picture also shows my efforts at MDF engraving - there are some mistakes but these will be covered by static grass later in the process.


I also used the MDF sprues to get a perfect cut out of the building footprints so they can be embedded into the table and everything will be level with the kerb.


This is my current progress to date. I estimate that I am 35% complete with this project. I have ordered some trees (which I will use as street trees and in the park). The trees will also be embedded so I will drill out some circle bases for them so they can sit in flush. Then its onto painting the kerbs, gluing it all down, filling and sanding down any holes and then painting and detailing the boards (as well as making the other buildings and park etc) which hopefully will be covered in subsequent blog posts.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Gebirgsjagers - Chain of Command

Hi All I have been a long time table-top gaming enthusiast but have never really collected until recently. Something that I have never done due to time, talent and direction is painted. I suppose for me the collecting went hand in hand with the painting and as I could not paint, I did not collect and therefore I did not game. Well last year I decided to try my hand at painting. While I continue to learn a lot and my efforts are not the best I am a lot more confident that if I try I may be able to get a 'table-top' standard I am happy with. Anyway last year I began to paint some German Gebirgsjagers, however I noticed that there is no list in Chain of Command for them yet. They are quite similar to regular German infantry so with a bit of research and CoCulator help I settled on the below - Comments appreciated. Germany Heer Gebirgsjager Rifle Platoon (Pre 1942) Introduction The German Gebirgsjager (mountain infantry) of World War Two found its origins in

World War 2 Italian Terrain - Vineyards (Part 1)

Hello everyone, After finishing the Mid-Century boards and playing on them a few times (I hope to put a battle report up eventually), I have once again begun making terrain. This time its my long awaited Italian board. So broadly speaking I want to make a board which I can play WW2 games (mostly Bolt Action and Chain of Command) on. I want this board to be a mostly rural setting that looks like Italy but could also conceivably be Spain, Portugal, Greece, Yugoslavia and, at a stretch, greener parts of North Africa (including Tunisia and Cyrenacia). This theatre flexibility will allow me to use the terrain for other games as well like Sharp Practice (for Austrians/French in Northern Italy or Peninsula War) and Spanish Civil War. Unlike my Mid-Century Board, this will be less like a diorama and more of a traditional gaming table. For instance, where on the Mid-Century Board everything had its place, for the Italian board I am planning on some big green boards/felt mat on which I w

Operation Mercury #1 - Campaign Introduction and Structure (Chain of Command)

Hi All, As stated in my last post I am hoping to play a Chain of Command campaign with my friend. Please see below for the campaign structure: 1.0 Overview This campaign will be played using the Chain of Command Rules produced by Too Fat Lardies. 1.1 Setting The campaign is set between 20 May 1941 and 1 June 1941. The campaign starts with the German airborne landings and concludes with the allied withdrawal to Egypt. The campaign abstracts the western part of the Battle of Crete and focuses on engagements between German and Greek forces. Map of German landings during Operation Mercury (image courtesy of Wikipedia) 1.2 Objective The Greeks win the campaign if one of the following conditions is met: Defeating the Germans twice in a row in Battle I - Decisive Victory If the Germans have not defeated the Greeks in Battle V in a total of 9 games - Allied Tactical Victory The Germans win the campaign if one of the following conditions is met: Defeat the